Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Gettysburg

My family and I recently took a vacation out east, and spent several days in Gettysburg, PA.  We found it to be a charming town, and an incredibly interesting battlefield park.  Our first day there, we took the Auto Tour around the battlefield, following the course of the battle, and marveling over the countless monuments and memorials.  I highly recommend this tour as a great way to start your visit, and get a general feel for the course of the battle. 

Here are just a tiny fraction of the shots I took there (no pun intended). 

Gettysburg Battlefield Park / auto tour

The scenery around the park was beautiful, with mountains in the distance, and the old fashion fences, that I just love.  A photograph cannot do justice to the views.

Gettysburg Battlefield Park / auto tourGettysburg Battlefield Park / auto tour

As you can see, the next couple of shots are from the:

Gettysburg Battlefield Park / auto tourGettysburg Battlefield Park / auto tour

The landscape has, in many cases, been brought back to the condition it was in at the time of the battle.  This view down the cannon barrel (located next to the above monument) gives a nice feel for what the soldiers would have seen.  Minus the thousands of armed opponents, of course.

Gettysburg Battlefield Park / auto tour

As you can see, we were not the only tourists enjoying the sunny, hot day.

Gettysburg Battlefield Park / auto tour

As I mentioned before, there were countless monuments.  Here is the North Carolina monument…

Gettysburg Battlefield Park / auto tour

And the memorial to the First Pennsylvania Cavalry.

Gettysburg Battlefield Park / auto tour

Ok, you know I could not go an entire post without a little bit of wildlife.  This little guy (and I do mean little) was crawling up a rock while I was looking at another memorial.

P7131327 

Thanks for visiting.  I have a lot more to share, so come back again soon!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the toad!

    These other shots you have are very stirring. The fence and the shot down the cannon are my favorites. It's amazing to me; very moving. I certainly hope you had a wonderful time. Looks like it from where I sit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you would like that little critter. He was so cute! It was a wonderful time, and I am so glad we went.

    Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete