Thursday, June 3, 2010

A walk in the woods

Recently I found myself in a woodland setting, taking a hike down a trail.  It is good to get out of the city, and enjoy nature.   The trail worked its way down the hill to the the South Branch River.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

In the mud along the bank, I spotted some small animal tracks.  Unfortunately, I never saw who made them.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

There were a great number of insects flying around, including a variety of damselflies.  There were a number of different colors, and they never seemed to stay still long enough to take their picture.  This one had an especially nice green color.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Turning back up towards camp, some ferns were spotted hiding in the shadows.  The sunlight was just brushing them, giving them an eerie look.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I saw some very interesting sights along the trail, but perhaps none more that this – a chair sitting next to the trail.  I have no idea who put it there, or why.  But there it sits.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

In addition to all of the damselflies, a few dragonflies were also seen.  This one was nice enough to land on the ground long enough for a picture.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The trail left the hardwood and entered a pine plantation, where I found this beautiful Lady slipper orchid.  Actually, I almost stepped on it.  Fortunately I stopped looking for birds long enough to look down!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful! I know what you mean about getting out of the city. I love your dragonflies and this orchid ...lovely. You've really done a great job with lights and darks. I'm envious of your ability to capture what you see so well. Serenity...wish we had more of it in our lives.

    Well done Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tess, you make me blush. Thank you so much for the kind words and for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete