Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A concert in the park

It was a beautiful Wednesday evening here in Bay City, Michigan, and I went with my family to enjoy a concert in the park.  This concert, which is part of the Bay Arts Council’s Wednesday in the Park Concert Series, was a performance by the Bay Concert Band (featuring my lovely wife in the flute section).

The concert is held in Wenona park, along side the Saginaw River.  This park has just undergone a facelift, and is looking wonderful.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The park is also the docking site of the schooner Appledore IV.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

There was a pretty good turnout for the show, as people took the opportunity to relax on a warm, but breezy, evening.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Honoring our flag as the band plays the Star Spangled Banner.

 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA          

This concert was the first one conducted by the band’s new director, Mr. Leo Najar.  Mr. Najar is also the director of Bay City’s Bijou Orchestra, another wonderful talent.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

As you can see here, everyone loves a good concert in the park.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And I do mean everyone!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Mr. Najar directing the audience as we whistle “Colonel Bogey March” (Thanks Leo, now I will be whistling that song for a week!)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA          

During intermission, we were entertained by the Delta Flute Choir, again featuring my wife.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Mr. Najar called on the audience for some help.  Here are the assistants he recruited to help direct the Stars and Stripes Forever.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And so the sun sets on a wonderful evening in beautiful downtown Bay City.  Great music, great friends, it just doesn’t get any better than this.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely flawless. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It looks amazing. I wish I could hear her play.

    I don't know if it could be any better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tess. I wanted to show a little bit of the town I live in.

    ReplyDelete