Sunday, March 28, 2010

Steve’s Adventures in Nayanquing

Saturday, March27.  Even though it is the weekend, I decided to get up early and try to catch the sunrise.  I load myself with my camera, a tripod, and a thermos of coffee.  I am out the door by 6:15 am, and I head north to Linwood, to the Nayanquing Point Wildlife Area.  By 6:50 I am set up at the top of the observation tower.  The sky is growing lighter, with shades of red and purple developing.OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The air is cold, but still.  The only noise is the sound of birds.  Thousands of birds.  I hear ducks, geese, and countless blackbirds.  Occasionally a shape, or several, can be made out against the dark sky.  Gradually, the sun rises higher, and the sky brightens, changing its hue to glorious red.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Slowly the marshland becomes visible.  Birds are moving now.  The blackbirds begin to rise, and settle into the trees.  Ducks quack loudly around me, still hidden in the reeds and the darkness.  Pairs of geese take flight, heading out for their morning feast.  As the sky brightens and the sun rises, I can see them, together, always in pairs.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The sun is risen now.  I leave my perch on the tower, refill my coffee and head down the trail.  I slowly walk along the marsh.  A pair of mallards show their displeasure at being interrupted, and swim away.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I continue my walk, listening to birds everywhere, and seeing very few.  A grove of sumac rise before me, and the trail enters a tunnel formed by their branches.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Through the tunnel I slowly pass, listening.  Occasionally I catch a glimpse of a bird in the trees.  Redwing blackbirds declare their territory, and let me know I am not welcome.  I turn back, re-entering the sumac tunnel, stopping to look closely at the red fruit.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Thank you for sharing the first half of my adventure with you.  There is more to come.  Birds that liked to pose for me, and more views of the wetlands.  Tune in tomorrow for the rest of my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment