Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sunrise By The River

I set aside some time early Saturday morning to get out enjoy the sunrise, and see what nature had to offer for a guy with a camera.  I did not travel far; in fact, I stayed right in town.  I decided to see what the river had to offer.

The early morning light creates some interesting silhouettes.

P1072499

Here is a self portrait, in shadow.

P1072501

Normally, by January 7, the river is frozen over.  But with the unseasonably warm weather this year, the water is still open, and the geese have not all fled south.

P1072506P1072507

There is a little ice left, at the very edge of the river.  The low sun brushes against it nicely, highlighting the texture of the ice.

P1072517

Geometric shapes, courtesy of the crystals in the thin ice.

P1072518

A group of gulls settle on some ice that has formed away from the main channel.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAP1072566

Hey! Who scared the gulls??

P1072542

A small group of geese enjoying a leisurely float upriver.

P1072578

It was nice to get out in the early morning, and capture a few shots.  This day was particularly special, as I got out to safari twice.  My wife Wendy joined me for an afternoon of birding and photography.  I will share a few of those shots soon.

Thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

  1. LOVELY! Your enjoyment is obvious on this peaceful morning. I really like your textures here, both soft and jagged. I think your gulls are just a little camera shy; unlike your stalker chipmunk. ;) I loved your ice shots; really cool. It was a great break for me; thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tess. It was nice to get out, even though it was in town, and not the silent wilderness I prefer. And you think my chipmunk is bad? Wait till you read about the bird next time. Just a little teaser....

    ReplyDelete