Sunday, May 2, 2010

Something different

If you have been watching this humble page of mine, you will know that I usually concentrate on photographs of nature, especially birds and other wildlife.  The challenge of capturing those images appeals to me, as does the serenity of the natural world.

Today I am trying something different.  While waiting for my son’s baseball game to start I took a walk to my favorite nature trails (which are closed, incidentally, to due to nesting eagles).  The road between the little league field and the park runs along railroad tracks next to an old industrial area.  I decided to capture some images of the abandoned buildings.  For me this is an even greater challenge than taking a picture of a bird.  I know what a good shot of a bird or rabbit is, but to see and capture beauty in a rusting door or overgrown track takes an artistic streak that I am still developing.

Speaking of rusty doors, this lonely door caught my eye.  Looking at it, I cannot help but wonder when it was last opened.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Nearby was this door, overgrown by trees.  It looks like the hidden entrance to the secret hideaway of some group.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I was taken by the stark contrast of this image – in the midst of the rusting equipment, trash and broken fence, is a beautiful flowering bush.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The angles and textures of this small bit of dismantled railroad track called out to me.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA            

Well, there they are.  The were fun to photograph, and I hope you find then to be in some way interesting.

2 comments:

  1. All of these are lovely images: a little haunting and sad. They stand as testaments to fickle natures, indifference, and maybe forgetfulness. I enjoy the history they COULD represent.

    Very nicely done Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tess,the were fun to take. And believe it or not, that is what I was trying to capture.

    ReplyDelete