Sunday, February 21, 2010

Winter Nature

I went out on Saturday to try to capture a bit of nature. So I leave early in the morning to Nayanquing Point Wildlife Area. I left home with high hopes of photographing birds, and maybe some animals. Hawks soaring, or perched on trees. Songbirds flitting around the bushes. However, for the most part Mother Nature was not going to make it too easy. A woodpecker makes his presence known on an old dead tree, but he will not come out so I could see him. Songbirds flit away, being camera shy.

But the sun is low in the sky, backlighting the shore plants and making them glow. They look like they come from a dream. You can almost see the silence of the open fields in them.


As I walk, I look down. A small twig, set in a frozen footprint, has not yet seen the morning rays of sun. Frosty ice crystals have grown on it, looking like a fine cut glass ornament. A moment in time is captured, for soon the twig will warm, and the crystals will disappear.


Finally it is time to leave, and as I drive slowly out, back toward civilization, I see a shape in the field, through the bushes and weeds. I gently brake, and silently get out of the truck. Crouching low, I step as quietly as I can to get a better view. The deer has seen me, and keeps careful watch. But he allows me to take his picture, before he runs off. Many of his friends are there, and I take their pictures too. Perhaps I will share those another day.



But now I travel home again. But that is not the end of wildlife. But I will tell you about that tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I love the wholesomeness in the first two combined with the grey back drop; almost ominous. The third with its rigidity and softness was a great find and of course...the deer. What a productive Saturday. Kudos Sir! Your love for this is very apparent. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete