Friday, July 16, 2010

The Eagle Has Landed

While waiting for the tall ships to arrive yesterday afternoon, my son and his friends came riding up on their bikes, telling me a hawk was sitting on the trail, and do I want to get a picture.  Hmmmmm.  A hawk, just sitting on the ground.  I thought about it, and the fact that there is an eagle next nearby with 2 young eagles, and decided this warrants investigation.  So we walked down the trail and sure enough, the “hawk” was one of the young fledgling eagles.  It was sitting on the back of a bench at the edge of the trial. I call it a fledgling, but don’t let that fool you.  It was nearly the size of an adult, with fully functioning bill and talons.

 OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I am sure this bird will have no trouble defending itself.  Just check out these talons.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Even this young, this has to be one of the most wonderful and majestic sights you can see.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

As great as it was to see this, after a few moments I told the kids to move away, and not to get close.  I am sure that Mom and Dad Eagle were nearby, watching.  And I am sure they were not happy about our presence.  Besides, what this young bird needs is to be left alone, so it can grow up and soar in our skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment