Monday, March 10, 2014

Saturday Morning Birds

The weather finally took a turn toward spring over the last few days, and Saturday morning I was able to get out with the camera.  I headed to my favorite spot of open water on the river, and I was not disappointed.  The usual crowd of ducks, mergansers and geese were there, plus another regular visitor.

Some of the mergansers I mentioned did not like me walking up to their spot on the water, so they literally took off to the other end of the swimming hole.

IMG_0637

Common mergansers.

IMG_0653

Looking down the spot of open water, you see ducks, geese, mergansers, and someone else looking over the whole scene.

IMG_0662

How about a closer look at that majestic observer.

IMG_0674

Spring must be approaching, the gulls are starting to come back.  I think they look a little miffed that most of the river is still ice covered.

IMG_0680

One of my favorites is the Hooded Merganser, who is hanging out with some mallards.  Or I like to call it, the Punk Duck.

IMG_0687

Not everyone is back though.  Some of the homes are still closed up for winter, awaiting the return of their warm weather occupants.

IMG_0693

Even though I did not visit anyplace too exotic, it was good to get out with the sunrise and watch a bit of nature.  I hope you enjoyed my selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment