Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Best Safari Ever – Part 2

Yesterday I introduced you to some friendly deer I met while walking around the pond at Bay City State Recreation Area.  I was beyond thrilled to be able to get those pictures.  But never fear, I still got a lot of bird pictures too…

This little guy is what is technically known as a LBB (little brown bird).  If any of my birder friends can help me identify this I would be most grateful.

P4063337

Can it be?  Yes! It’s the Bluebird of happiness!  Back lit and basking in the morning sun.

P4063344

Brown-Headed Cowbirds.  I think one is trying pick up the other.

P4063365

A Mute Swan, the common swan found in parks everywhere.

P4063416

One of my favorites, the Red-Winged Blackbird.

P4063420

This one was exciting, because it was a new species for me – A Redhead.  I believe this is a migrant that was just passing through.  I do not think they are normally found here.

P4063455

Mrs. Redhead stretching her wings.

P4063460

Perhaps my favorite bird of them all, the Cardinal.

P4063475P4063477

Birds on a wire…Another nice look at a Red-Wing.

P4063514

And further down the wire we find a Tree Swallow.  Why do these birds always seem to be sitting with their butt ends pointed toward me?

P4063522

And finally, what spring walk would be complete without a Robin?

P4063536

Thanks for letting me show off my birds.  I hope you enjoyed them!

4 comments:

  1. Love them ( as always) ! I really enjoyed all the species. Those redheads are a fave of mine. We have their "tufted" black crowned cousin up north. Bluebirds are wonderful to watch and I love your red bird. :) I thought the lil brown buddy was a sparrow of sorts but it escapes me. And cowbirds are funny to watch but make LOUSY parents.

    I could go on amd on,but I really just wanted to tell you these are all spectacular. You should put them in a show.....

    Thank you for posting! It was just what I needed after a long day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my friend! I am glad you enjoyed them. It was certainly a great day of photography. I am amazed at how many birds I got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My vote is the song sparrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good to me! I never was any good at identifying the LBBs. We will need to go back out there soon look for migratory birds. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete