Friday, August 3, 2012

Vacation Critters

I just finished up a week of rest and relaxation on the water.  Between bouts of sitting and watching the lake, and sitting and reading, I took a lot of pictures.  Small furry, feathered, and not so furry nor feathered, critters made up a good part of my subjects.  Here are a few:

First, the furry….

As I passed a patch of wildflowers, I say this little bunny hiding in the grass.  As bunnies are apt to do, he froze, and let me get quite close before he bolted.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I am not sure, but I think, maybe, the large number of oak trees, and therefore acorns, may have something to do with the large number of squirrels around there.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And now for the feathered…..

What would a trip to the cottage be without a shot of the loons.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This cute little bathing beauty is a Savannah Sparrow.  Exciting for me, as I have never seen one before.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And last, but not least, the un-furry and un-feathered…

The frog population at the lake skyrocketed this year.  I have never seen so many frogs!  Here are just a couple.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And now for my favorite of the whole week.  One evening, as I sat reading, my wife Wendy called me down to the fire pit by the lake.  She had spotted a sneaky garter snake.  He pretended to be shy, but actually seemed to enjoy posing for me.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Thanks for stopping.  I am saving the insects for later, not to mention some wonderful sunsets and landscapes.  Stay tuned, there is a lot more to come!

2 comments:

  1. Outstanding shots! I am always excited to see what you've captured and you never disappoint. These are really cool and I love your little sparrow and of course your bunny. Frogs look fabulous too!

    It looks like you had a great time and much needed rest. Kudos to you my friend and THANKS for sharing these with all of us. :) We DID miss you while you were away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tess! I am pleased with the way they turned out, especially the snake. I know how much you like frogs; I thought of you every time I saw one ;)

    ReplyDelete