Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Eclipse

On May 20, just before sunset, we were treated to a partial solar eclipse.  While the eclipse was a lot more dramatic in other parts of the country, it was still exciting to get to see part of it.

Thanks to the filter in my son’s welding helmet, I was able to capture some images of the sun through the eclipse.  Having never tried this before, it was an exciting experiment.

7:19 pm, the full sun.  If you look closely, you can see a few sunspots.

P5204131

8:21 pm.  The moon is just beginning to cross the sun.  See it just to the right of the bottom.

P5204141

8.25 pm  The eclipse is progressing.

P5204148

8:31 pm  the curve of the moon is clearly visible.

P5204156

By 8:36 pm, light clouds had moved in front of the sun.  The welding filter was no longer needed.  You can see just how low the sun is, by the tree tops at the bottom of the picture.

P5204161

After this point, the sun had dropped below the horizon.  I am disappointed I could not see more of the eclipse, but I am grateful for the chance to see what I could, and to try out some new photography.

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you enjoyed them!

No comments:

Post a Comment